French toast was one of my favourite breakfasts growing up and I still crave it every now and then. One thing I like to do with my breakfasts is to make them look fancier because you eat with your eyes first!
Typically I go to bed at night thinking of what I want for breakfast in the morning, probably because my entire Instagram feed consists of food porn. I find that one helpful tip I use when deciding what to make it determining what your base of the meal will be. When I say base I am referring to yogurt, bread, fruit, tortilla, whatever you will be putting your ingredients on top of.
I opted for a slice of gluten-free bread (thanks to my intolerances). I just get mine from my local health food store. Then off to the races,
*Side Note* I’m also intolerant to egg whites so for this recipe, I use an egg yoke but feel free to use the whole egg!
2 Slices of bread (gluten-free
1 egg yolk or 1 whole egg
1 tbsp of milk (I used coconut milk)
A dash of cinnamon
1-2 teaspoons of butter or oil
2 tbsp of frozen blueberries
1 Heaping tbsp of coconut yogurt (regular yogurt would work as well)
1/4 a banana
Maple syrup for serving
- Begin by cracking the egg onto a plate or bowl large enough to fit the slice of bread. Then add the coconut milk & cinnamon and mix to combine.
- Second, place your bread in the egg mixture and allow it to sit on each side for about 3-5 minutes. This way the bread will absorb most of the egg mixture.
- While you are waiting for the bread to soak, heat up your blueberries.
- Once your blueberries are heated, warm up a frying pan on medium heat. Add butter or oil to the pan.
- Add bread to the hot pan and allow it to cook until each side is a golden brown.
- Remove from heat and add toppings then enjoy!