Homemade gluten-free tortilla
These are a handy thing to have in your back pocket, whether you make them gluten free or not! Often people become so dependant on premade/store bought items we forget how easy it can be to make them your self. Typical meals should include a portion of carbohydrates and I believe once you have that component figured out you can form the rest of your meal quite simply! Due to my intolerances I made these gluten free, however, I believe they would work with normal wheat flour as well.
To start: Grab all of your ingredients and set them out on the counter. Makes the assembly much less stressful.
1st Step: Make a well in the center of the bowl with the flour.
2nd Step: Pour liquid into the center of the well.
3rd Step: Incorporate the wet and dry ingredients from the inside out until a ball is formed.
4th Step: Transfer dough into parchment paper and roll out. * spray the parchmant paper with a bit of oil so the dough doesn’t stick* I used a small cup to roll the dough, you can use a rolling pin or anything round. Remember it doesn’t have to be perfectly round, we aren’t master chefs!
5th Step: Heat a pan on medium/high heat with a tiny dash of oil, I used one spray of oil. Once hot, place tortilla in the pan with the parchment facing up. Slowly and carfully peal the parchment off.
6th Step: Cook each side for roughly a few minutes or until the one side is slightly brown and small bubbles form on the uncooked side. This is where you can use your own judgement. You may want it less cooked if you are using it for a wrap or more cooked if you are serving it with a dip.
7th Step: Remove from heat and serve however you like! Mine got a bit more crispy than I expected so I cut it up and served with fresh parsley and hummus.
- 1 1/2 tbsp gluten free flour blend
- 2- 2 1/2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- dash of oil for rolling & cooking
- Put flour in a bowl.
- Create well in the center and pour water & vinegar in the hole.
- Slowly incorporate from the inside out until everything is combined into a ball.
- Transfer ball to parchment paper, which is lightly greased with oil. This prevents the tortilla from sticking to the parchment paper.
- Dust the ball of dough as needed as you roll out to the desired shape and size.
- Heat frying pan on medium/high heat with a dash of oil in it. I used 1-2 sprays of avocado oil.
- Flip once small bubbles form on the one side.
- Remove from heat and eat!